Traditionally, purple weed is synonymous with potency and a very good high. Although there are a wide variety of strains that can give purple weed, they all have one thing in common and that is the promise of leaving you lying on the couch.
They usually have a strong narcotic effect ideal for promoting sleep and relieving pain, which is why most stoners start salivating at the mere sight of their incredible appearance.
Unfortunately, most people don’t know if they are really buying purple weed or if they are paying a lot of money for fake purple weed. But don’t worry, by the end of this article you will be able to identify whether you are buying authentic purple or not.
What is The Fake Purple Weed?
Fake purple weed is nothing more than marijuana from other strains that has been manipulated by humans to modify its color and pass it off as real purple weed.
These manipulations can be achieved after modifying plant growth conditions, nutrients or even adding dye to the other strains, which in most cases damages the potency of the weed.
This has become a real problem over the years for both the recreational smoking community and those who use weed for medicinal purposes.
Not only inexperienced people looking to have fun on the weekends have been victims of these scams, many legal commercial establishments have also been affected.
This problem could undoubtedly have a devastating impact on the industry, and reinforce the constant criticism of the country’s politicians on the validity of Cannabis as a medicinal plant.
Is Purple Weed Dyed?
No, the real purple cannabis is not typically dyed. The purple color of marijuana is caused by the appearance of something known as flavonoids which include anthocyanins, curones, chalcones, flavonols and proanthocyanidins.
It is widely believed that the effects of purple marijuana are more potent, accompanied by enhanced flavors. These factors undeniably contribute to its premium price point, solidifying its position as one of the most sought-after and expensive strains available in today’s market.
Why do People Make Fake Purple Weed?
The appeal of counterfeiting in any walk of life seems to be quite obvious!
Imagine for a moment trying to counterfeit money, if you could do it without repercussions, not only could you print your own money, but you could buy whatever you want with it.
Well, pretty much the same story applies for fake purple weed. There are people without any vestige of ethics, who look for ways to sell their regular weed as if it were higher-end purple to make a little more money.
As with any type of counterfeiting, the people who do it want nothing more than to get more money for nothing! In some cases, not caring a bit about the health damage they may cause to the end customer.
Consequences of Smoking Fake Purple Weed
Many may think that it is harmless to smoke fake purple marijuana or any other type of weed that has been tampered with. However this is not true, they can cause serious and unpredictable side effects that can even be life threatening.
The compounds with which they modify the weed can be toxic. As a result, people who smoke it may react with:
- Causes intoxication and hallucinations.
- Chronic vomiting and diarrhea.
- Rapid heart rate.
Therefore, if you have bought purple weed and do not know if it is legitimate or if you have picked up some fake purple weed, it is advisable that you learn to identify its differences to know if it is safe to smoke!
Strains That Could Produce True Purple Weed
It is important to keep in mind that plants turn purple because of their genetics. There are specific strains that most commonly produce purple weed, but even then there are no guarantees.
If you are looking for strains that give you that mouthwatering purple color, we recommend that you opt for one of the following:
- Purple Haze: It is the original purple weed, a classic strain with a potent high that most people use to concentrate as it keeps your mind clear and ready to study.
- Grape Ape: This is an indica strain that comes from crossing two other strains (Afghani and Skunk). It has a strong grape aroma and flavor that will give you a high with lots of terpenes.
- Granddaddy Purple: This variety is legendary among the connoisseurs of weed. It comes from the crossing of Big Bud and Purple Urkle which gives it an intense purple color, with an aroma and taste of berries.
- Sirius Black: Is deep purple in color with a terpene profile that produces a scent of freshly picked purple grapes, which turn slightly soft in the summer sun.
How to Tell if Weed is Dyed?
Many of the people who end up buying fake purple weed do so by forgoing an amazing green flower to go after a dazzling purple color that promises pure potency.
The big issue and disappointment comes later, when you have already paid a high value for a shitty bud that also gave you some health problems.
To avoid falling into that trap again, you need to learn how to differentiate the fake purple weed from the real thing. There are several ways to do it and here we will teach you:
- Pay attention to their appearance: Fake purple weed usually has a deep purple color with little or no distinction between the color of the hairs and the buds. Real purple weed, on the other hand, has deep purple buds covered with light red, frosted hairs.
- Sense the smell: Fake purple weed has a faint earthy odor sometimes with chemical overtones. While the real purple weed will make you smell sweet aromas.
- Its flavor is unparalleled: There is no way you can go wrong here, real purple weed will always offer sweetness up front, if it has a spicy taste, you are definitely smoking a fake.
If you already tried to recognize it by its smell and appearance but you still can’t decide if it is fake or not and you don’t want to risk smoking it.
A member of a thriving stoner community has shared an alternative for verifying the authenticity of purple weed. This unique technique, is known as the “purple weed paper towel” method and offers a straightforward approach to distinguishing genuine purple weed from its counterfeit counterparts.
To employ this method effectively and without putting your health at risk simply follow these steps:
- Wet a paper towel and remove excess water.
- Take a purple bud, wrap it in the towel.
- Squeeze it tightly for a few seconds.
In theory, if the paper towel is dyed purple, you are in the presence of a fake purple weed!
Purple weed is certainly one of the best weed there is, it is not for nothing that it remains one of the most popular types of weed among experienced smokers.
For this very reason it has been in the crosshairs of unethical people who try cheap tricks to sell you fake purple weed as if it were the best purple haze ever.
This not only represents problems for those who consume it, but also for all smokers in general. Since these acts harm the Cannabis industry and what it can do for people.
It is important to fight against these practices and much more important is that you know how to differentiate when they want to sell you fake purple weed, not only to avoid spending money on a crappy product, but to avoid possible health problems from smoking that crap.