One of the most popular methods of consumption is through smoking, and there are three main types of smoking devices: joints, blunts, and spliffs.
They have been around for decades and have been popularized by different cultures and subcultures. Joints are often associated with the counterculture of the 1960s, blunts are popular in hip-hop culture, and spliffs are commonly used in Europe.
But aren’t they the same? What is the difference between a joint, a blunt, and spliffs? Well, let’s delve into the details of each of these weed smoking devices, including the materials needed, the rolling process, and the pros and cons of each.
What Is A Joint?
Joints, also known as “jays” or “doobs,” are a classic method of consuming cannabis. They are made by rolling cannabis in rolling papers, which come in various sizes and flavors. Rolling a joint is an art form in itself, and for many cannabis enthusiasts, the process of carefully rolling and shaping a joint is as much a part of the experience as smoking it.
The origins of joints can be traced back to the early 20th century when jazz musicians in the United States began using them as a way to smoke cannabis discreetly. Joints have become a cultural icon and a symbol of cannabis culture, appearing in countless movies, TV shows, and music videos.
How To Roll A Joint?
Rolling a joint is a simple process that requires only a few basic materials: cannabis, rolling papers, and a filter or crutch (optional). The process can vary slightly depending on the type of rolling paper and personal preference, but the basic steps are as follows:
- Gather materials: rolling papers, ground marijuana.
- Place rolling paper on a flat surface with glue side down.
- Add ground marijuana evenly onto the paper.
- Roll the paper between your fingers to shape the joint.
- Lick the glue side of the paper and seal the joint.
- Lend it and enjoy it!
Pros And Cons Of Smoking A Joint
|Simplicity and portability.||Takes time to roll like a pro.|
|Easy to roll.||It burns quickly.|
|Easy to spark up.|
|A social smoking option.|
What Is A Blunt?
Blunts, also known as “wraps” or “blunt wraps,” are a type of cannabis consumption method that involves smoking cannabis wrapped in a cigar or cigarillo wrapper. The origins of blunts can be traced back to the African-American communities in the United States, where they were popularized in the 1970s and 1980s as a way to smoke cannabis discreetly.
Blunts have become a cultural icon and a symbol of hip-hop culture, appearing in countless songs, music videos, and movies. Smoking a blunt is often considered a more potent and flavorful experience than smoking a joint, as the tobacco wrapper adds a unique taste and aroma to the cannabis.
How To Roll A Blunt?
Rolling a blunt is a bit more challenging than rolling a joint, but with a little practice, it can be done with ease. Here are the basic steps to roll a blunt:
- Start by obtaining a cigar wrapper.
- Carefully remove the tobacco from inside the wrapper.
- Grind your cannabis to a consistent texture.
- Place the wrapper on a flat surface with the glue side facing up.
- Spread the ground cannabis evenly across the wrapper.
- Roll the wrapper between your fingers, tucking and rolling it until the cannabis is tightly packed into a cylindrical shape.
- Lick the glue side of the wrapper and seal the lip by pressing it down.
- Once the blunt is sealed, it can be twisted or pinched at both ends to shape it and make it look neat.
- Allow the blunt to dry for a few minutes before smoking.
Pros And Cons Of Smoking A Blunt
|Portable.||Tobacco can ruin the taste of weed.|
|Tobacco adds a buzzy, energetic feel.||Takes time to learn to roll.|
|Come in a variety of flavors.|
What Is A Spliff?
Spliffs are a type of cannabis consumption method that combines the best of both worlds: the convenience and control of a joint and the flavor and strength of a blunt. Like a joint, a spliff is made by rolling cannabis on a rolling paper, but it also includes a small amount of tobacco.
The origins of spliffs can be traced back to Jamaica, where they were popularized as a way to conserve cannabis and make it last longer. Spliffs have become a staple in many cultures, particularly in European countries, where they are enjoyed by cannabis enthusiasts as a way to enhance the flavor and aroma of their cannabis.
The act of smoking a spliff is often considered a social activity and a bonding experience among friends, and it’s also considered a more moderate way to consume cannabis.
How To Roll A Spliff?
Rolling a spliff is similar to rolling a joint, but with the addition of tobacco. Here are the basic steps to roll a spliff:
- Start by obtaining rolling papers and a small amount of tobacco.
- Grind your cannabis to a consistent texture.
- Take a rolling paper and place it on a flat surface with the glue side facing up.
- Place a small amount of tobacco at one end of the paper.
- Spread the ground cannabis evenly across the paper.
- Roll the paper between your fingers, tucking and rolling it until the cannabis and tobacco are tightly packed into a cylindrical shape.
- Lick the glue side of the paper and seal the lip by pressing it down.
- Once the spliff is sealed, it can be twisted or pinched at both ends to shape it and make it look neat.
- Allow the spliff to dry for a few minutes before smoking.
Pros And Cons Of Smoking A Spliff
|Great for sharing.||Takes time to roll like a pro.|
|More discreet than a joint.||Smoking tobacco can be harmful.|
|Easy to spark up.|
Differences In Rolling Papers
Rolling material choice plays a crucial role in enhancing your smoking experience. The size and material of the paper you choose can greatly impact the amount of cannabis you use, the number of people in your smoking circle, and overall flavor and burn rate.
When it comes to joints, some popular options include single, wide, king, slims or thins, and cones. For spliffs, options like wide, king, and cones are often preferred, as they tend to be larger in size to accommodate the added tobacco. Blunts, on the other hand, are typically rolled using wraps or cut-open cigars.
When deciding on the size of your rolling paper, consider the number of people in your smoking circle. For a small group, a single may be sufficient, but for a larger group, king size papers may be more appropriate!
Comparing Joints, Blunts, And Spliffs: Which Is Better?
The preferred method of consuming cannabis varies greatly around the world, with different regions having their own unique cannabis culture and customs. In Europe, spliffs are the most popular form of consumption, reflecting the cultural mindset of efficiency and practicality. Joints are generally viewed as wasteful, and thus, not as common.
In contrast, the United States has a culture that prioritizes personal choice, and as a result, joints are more prevalent. The use of tobacco in spliffs may also be less appealing to American smokers, due to the health concerns associated with inhaling tobacco smoke. Blunts, on the other hand, are a uniquely American phenomenon and are not as commonly seen in other parts of the world.